Saturday, December 31, 2011

Are You Your Best Friend?

This week on NPR, I heard a show about willpower. The latest advice, this being the start of a new year, is to focus on creating only one new habit per month. The expert said that we have a certain amount of willpower each day and when we try to change too many things at once, we don't have enough willpower to go around. I'm not sure I buy the "limited amount" idea, but focusing on one thing at a time and successfully creating a new habit slowly makes sense. How many of us have been successful with resolutions otherwise?

So, what will it be? Do I focus on my relationships, health, passions, prosperity?

I've been prepping to do the Letter to God part of our Sunday New Year's Day service tomorrow. I realized that when I focus on my relationship with myself, a lot of other things fall into place. When I am my best friend:
  • I enjoy being with myself and don't need another to "fulfill" me.
  • I can be alone without being lonely.
  • I take care of myself physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally.
  • I can amuse myself and enjoy being with others when I choose.
  • I like who I am and honor my idiosyncracies.
  • I don't judge myself harshly.
  • I can laugh at myself.
  • I support myself with trust, compassion and encouragement.
In 2012, I intend to focus first on my food choices, then on encouraging myself to follow my passions. One is not necessarily more important than the other, but I need to start somewhere. The "food month" will allow me time to contemplate what I want out of my "passion month."

New habits aren't about "thou shalt not." They are about focusing on what you want, instead of what you don't want.

What about you? What one thing will you focus on in January? Happy New Year and may you create the best life you can envision.

No comments: